Nov 11 2010

Dropbox it like it’s Hot

Dropbox is one of those great tools that I can’t believe we haven’t talked about yet. If you aren’t familiar with Dropbox the name should give you a hint as to what they do. Dropbox not only acts as an online storage space but provides an easy interface to share files with people. The free account gets you up to 2GB of online storage (with up to 100GB of storage for a paid account). Sign-up and you’ll be able to download a desktop dropbox folder that syncs with your online account automatically when you add new files. With Dropbox you can upload any type of file and it is available the Mac, Window and Linux Operating Systems.

Like I said before besides being a place to back up your stuff, Dropbox gives you a public folder (that allows you to control access) that makes it easy to share files, like those old family photos you have been so diligently scanning, with other people. So rather than large e-mail files that you know will bounce because of the size, just stick it in Dropbox and share the link with friends and family.

Besides software and web access Dropbox has free applications for your mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry) allowing you to access your files on the go and I know how you young kids are always on the go.

So go ahead and sign-up so you can finally back-up those important files (like your senior thesis) I know you have been letting sit on your hard drive unprotected. Don’t forget to tell your friends about it so you can share files (legally of course) back and forth.

Comments Off on Dropbox it like it’s Hot