Nov 18 2011

A Little Glitch in a Giant’s World

Published by at 7:35 pm under Browser Stuff,Fun Stuff

Glitch is a game that’s most recently captivated my attention.

Glitch Game Official LogoFor those of us who enjoy playing free, cute and inventive games with friends, Glitch succeeds at including all of the above.

You’re play a sprite existing in the imaginations of eleven giants, and its your job to run around squeezing chickens, milking butterflies and generally interact with the world. Yup, living inside the thoughts of god-giants (or giant-gods, as you please) is a strange place, but worry not–your journeys are watched over by a witty, wise rock who takes it upon itself to learn important skills for you (like Animal Kinship or Alchemy) and provide you with quests. You won’t ever get bored.

Even cooler, Glitch is a very new MMO–it debuted in September of this year–and if there’s one thing I love most, it’s watching the way a game grows. So, get in on it now while you can, and see Glitch from its inception.

Tiny Speck created Glitch (and are looking for employees, my lovely computer science and art major readers), and they are obviously sporting a fresh take on the gaming world. I, for one, will be following what they do with interest.

Why else is Glitch cool? When you go to learn skills, they work in real time and even when you’re not playing. Right now I’m learning a skill that will take about 20 hours–but that’s not 20 game hours. My rock buddy studies around the clock just for my little glitch self.  As it is, Tiny Speck’s servers can handle such a task, but I predict big things for this game (at least a devoted cult following, if nothing else), so we’ll see if they are able to keep that up.

Glitch also has a global following. Today I chatted with a player from Russia; we used online translators to transfer what we wanted to say and then copy/pasted the text into the chat room. It was a very surreal, very Internet experience.

Did I mention that you can have your own house, grown crops, and oh, right, squeeze chickens?

Go. Join. Live the glitch life.

Comments Off on A Little Glitch in a Giant’s World